Two ways to register-
***This page and the links are currently only used to sign-up to gain access to the Membership web pages.
To make a payment for new member or RENEW current membership for 2021 please go to:
Login in as you would normally and make payments to:
Apply for membership and gain access to “Member-Only” pages by clicking the appropriate “Buy Now” link below:
You will be directed to our Registration page. After the application is submitted and payment is received you will be given access to the “Members-Only” pages of this website. You will receive emails on the status of your application through the email address you provide.
(Beta Testing : no automatic payments, must be by check or manual PayPal)
- – Enrollment with the NBTHK Main Branch in Tokyo & NBTHK-AB with all benefits
- – All Zoom Meeting and access to new NBTHK-AB Member pages
- -See FAQs below for all features and benefits
- (See Mail-in and Payment options below)
This is just for existing members to establish their website ID.
- – Access to Member pages until March 2021
Mail In Option:
Mail Option details:
To join the American Branch of the NBTHK, just download the application or contact Richard Mantegani at firstname.lastname@example.org.
American Branch of the NBTHK
C/O R. Mantegani
448 Ignacio Blvd #156
Novato, California 94949
Send Check along with Membership Form or
Mail-in with Paypal payment
While we are still testing the on-line account access for our new Website. The payments processes are still manual. IF you would like to pay via PayPal please, please use the following account:
NBTHK-AB Full Membership
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
What are the benefits of a Full Year membership?
Why Join the NBTHK-AB?
In one word……Education
The benefits of the American Branch membership are identical those received through the Main Branch in Tokyo, and our mission is to educate people about Japanese swords (Nihonto). These educational benefits include:
- You are enrolled with the NBTHK – Tokyo and receive all of the same benefits as members with the Main organization
- Monthly issues of the Token Bijutsu (The Journal of Japanese Art Swords)
- English translations of the Token Bijutsu each month
- Translated articles and related materials on Kodogu twice yearly
- Discounts on Branch publications and semi-annual newsletters pertaining to Branch activities
- Reduced fees for submission of items for judgment and documentation of authenticity
- NBTHK Convention in Japan every few years (additional fee applies to all)
- Admission to the sword and Kodogu lectures and Kantei (sword judging) sessions conducted at the Tampa, Florida, Chicago, Illinois, and San Francisco Sword Shows.
- The opportunity to view, and study in hand, examples of fine works from every period of Japanese Sword history.
- In addition, these conventions offer a superior method of education that no two-dimensional image can ever provide.
- Access to Member-only pages on NBTHK-AB Website
- Access to all NBTHK-AB Zoom Meetings at no additional charge
Do you prorate membership if I join partway thru the year?
The American NBTHK Branch now offers a prorated membership to any new members who are joining the American NBTHK Branch later in the calendar year. Please note that the Japanese fiscal calendar year for your membership actually runs from April 1st to April 1st of the following year. As per the wishes of the NBTHK, the prorated and adjusted rates for new members joining the NBTHK American Branch are as follows:
- Joining January 1st to March 31st: The fee is $250.00. By joining during this period, your paid dues will be held and applied to the next full year of membership beginning on April 1st.
- Joining April 1st to June 30th: The membership fee is $250.00.
- Joining from July 1st to September 30th: The fee is $187.50.
- Joining from October 1st to December 31st: The fee is $125.00.
What is the Fiscal Year
Please note that the Japanese fiscal calendar year for your membership actually runs from April 1st to April 1st of the following year. We collect annual dues in Q1 of the US calendar year, however this will apply to your membership from April 1st to March 31st of the following calendar.
What are Payment options?
Payment by check will be $250 and mailed to NBTHK-AB as stated above.
To Renew by Credit Card, we offer the convenience of paypal. This payment option will allow you to use a credit card to pay your annual dues via the internet. Please note that when using this option, your annual dues will be $260.00, which includes a $10.00 service fee.
$260 ( $250 membership dues and $10 processing fee )
I currently have a membership with NBTHK in Japan, can I join the American Branch?
If you have a current membership with Japan NBTHK, all you must do is pay the difference to be able to have access to the translations and events here in the United States. Please include your membership # and a letter stating that you are a current member of the NBTHK in Japan. You will continue to receive all the same benefits including the magazine “Token Bijutsu” along with the translations that follow. Members will also have first chance at any publications offered by/to the American Branch, including special articles